This icon and most of the other icons on display at the House of Icons in Traben-Trarbach were written by Alexej Alexandrowitch Saweljew (1920 Kiev – 1996 Traben-Trarbach). Saweljew re-discovered and used the Byzantine technique of icon writing taking the recipes to his grave. His icons are referred to as “modern icons” according to the Novgorod school of icon writing. Icons are, however, part of the sacramentals, intrinsically bound to the liturgy of the Eastern Church and as such never “modern”.
Colleen & Walter
Völklingen Saturday 27 August 2011